Academic Difficulty

In order to stay at NIU, you must get a certain grade point average (GPA). If you don’t meet the minimum GPA, you’ll be placed on academic probation. Unless you improve your GPA, you’ll be required to leave the university. This is called academic dismissal. Learn more about academic probation and dismissal.

We understand that many factors contribute to how well you do in your courses. We encourage you to use support services, such as the Huskie Academic Support Center. If you do receive an academic dismissal, you can file an appeal to ask the university to change its mind. Learn more about appealing academic dismissal.

Use the NIU GPA calculator.

Read frequently asked questions about grading.

Contact Us

Academic Advising Center
Peters Campus Life Building, room 260
815-753-2902 (fax)


Monday - Friday
8 a.m.-4:30 p.m.

To schedule an appointment, email us at

Back to top